Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Military Wives ~United in Spirit


We are sisters – bound not by blood but unity of spirit. We share many of the
same experiences, hopes and fears. You carry some of my thoughts and I
some of yours.

You understand the chest I have labeled “Special Memories” that grows
heavier and heavier as it is moved from assignment to assignment. I
understand your box marked “curtains” which contains several different
sets, each of which fit one window in all of the U.S. and Europe.

You know what it is like to plant a tree, knowing someone else will sample its
fruit and enjoy its shade. I know how you paused hanging a picture in post
housing to hear for a moment. . .the echoing footsteps of the families who
preceded you. I also know that you never write in your address book in ink.
To us, home is not so much a geographic location as it is a place in our
hearts.

The evening news is more than a 30 minute blitz of information; it is often
the compass that directs our lives. I have stood in your shoes and you in
mine on docks, piers, flight lines and terminals of every description around
the world. Waving good-bye and whispering a silent prayer. To us the words
“Support Our Troops” are more than a logo on a bumper sticker. We wear
yellow ribbons around our hearts everyday; because we know that
everyday a military family is separated by time and distance while that
military member stands watch at freedoms door.

We come from all walks of life. We are homemakers, workers, professionals;
and in our number are those who also serve our country on active duty or in
the reserves. We are different and yet we are the same. Sometimes I see
your face in my mirror. Sometimes I dream your dreams. So, we come
together today to celebrate our similarities and explore our differences in
the spirit of friendship and unity. I am honored to count myself among you.

~Author Unknown

No comments: