Saturday, February 23, 2013

Major Mile Stone Moment

Last night before going to bed I got everything ready, packed up and breakfast set out. Being prepared is everything!!!! Call me a nerd but it totally makes the world of a difference being prepared.
Earlier this morning I met up with my girl Kelly to head across town for a 10K race we'd signed up for. It was pouring buckets of water, like major crazy hard core rain. Seriously I'm going to run in this stuff. I signed my name on the paper, I'm not backing down, I don't quit like EVER. We had plans after we'd cross the finish line of the 10K Race Against Hunger run to loop back around and keep going. We were going to use this as our long run training day for our half, which just so happens to be in TWO two.....TWO Weeks. (thank goodness). The goal was to get in 11 miles this morning and this would be our last long run and then we'd start to bring this down again. The rain was off and on all the way across town, about two blocks before the starting location it was pouring so hard. We kept talking about what we were going to do. I wanted to get it over with, I / we were in the zone, I didn't wanna have to get up early tomorrow for our long run because we got rained out today. I'm not a tread mill runner, but we talked about doing that. Let's just wait and see if they cancel the race or go with it when we get there. Just as we pulled up to park the rain slowed up to a light rain / mist. Ok we can handle this we ran in much worse last weekend (sleet), we had our rain coats on and were ready to go. We headed in side were it was warm and waited it out for the race to start.
The plan was to take it nice and easy, not to push ourselves to much. One, we didn't want to step in a pot hole due to the rain or slip and fall from the wet conditions. The goal was to get our miles in for the day and the race was just a added bonus to help us do that. I was kinda nervous because after completing this (the race combined with our extra 5 miles at the end) it would be my longest run to date. Mind over Matter I knew I could do it, it was just getting all the garbage nonsense out of my head. 

Waiting at the start line it was pretty chilly and windy, the rain was light but still there. Then all of a sudden bam everyone started running.......what really were was the "on your mark get set go". 
The course was great, it was a nice change from what we had been running in over the last couple months. (it was in a completely different city) After a while the rain started to go away and we were enjoying the morning. There were people stationed all through out the course cheering everyone on, police officers from all over controlling traffic and others passing out water. As we would pass each mile marker they would cheer us on and tell us how many more we had to go, all I could think about was "if you only knew what I had to do after this". Did I mentioned I tried out my knew shoes last week and then again today and they were doing great. I absolutely love them, although I though I loved loved my other ones to, so I'm going to have to give them a few more runs to really break them in. But so far so good, no complaints here. 
We were almost to the finish line, I was still doing good, I passed the old guy in the blue shorts. I never let anyone pass me I kept ahead and put one foot in front of the other. I ran through the finish, heard the buzzer go off to stop my time. And turned it right back around and kept going. Kelly had to go to the bathroom so bad, I kept telling her to hold it and wait it out but she just couldn't any more. We were NOT stopping though. There was a Starbucks on the left just a block up, she ran ahead booked it in side to pee. I made one lap around the building and there she came running back out adjusting her pants. It was just the laugh we both needed. We were running back down along the course encouraging people as we passed them. We finally saw the end out the racers, a young girl maybe 6/7 at the most still running strong. I though seriously if she can do this anyone can. 

Here I am a mile 8 the rain came back for a little bit but it was a bit refreshing. No need to carry water just open your mouth and look up lol. I slowed down for a bit turned around and Kelly snapped this picture, and then facebooked it all while running. Talk about multitasking while running, she's pretty awesome like that. This was our view for the next 2 miles and it was absolutely beautiful, quiet and peaceful. A few hills here and there but nothing we couldn't handle. 
There was a mile stretch were we were on a pretty busy two lane road. I was a nervous wreck and ran my heart out to get to the end of the street so we could get on a side walk. It was probably one of the longest miles ever. I just kept my eyes on the road and stayed clear of my surroundings. 
I have to have a plan, I need to know were and when we were going to stop. Kelly is known to say we are going to run this many miles and we end up adding more on. We talked and decided that we would see how we felt at mile 11 and if we could push one more out we would (it was run back the the car or walk so either way we had another mile to go at 11 to get to the car) but we would NOT go over 12 for any reason. Besides I want my first 13.1 to be my half in two weeks. We were just over 10 miles and I had a "OH MY GOSH" moment I've just surpassed my longest run ever. 
We came to a long ascending hill and I was pushing with everything I had to get up it, it hurt and I was struggling a bit but I knew the quicker I got to the top the better off I'd be. I pushed through and never stopped, the though crossed my mind but I didn't give in. It might have hurt in the moment but I knew shortly after we finished I'd be fine. 
At 11.34 we had just over half a mile to go, I recognized were we were and knew how far we had to go to get to the car. I pushed through it with everything I had in me. I knew the fast / quicker I got there the sooner I could stop. We had one more busy street to cross and about two blocks to go and we were there.......I watched my watch count up adding on the distance 11.81.....11.90......11.96.....12.15 DONE. It got us right to the parking lot were we were parked. I've just ran my longest distance ever. I don't know when the last time I had ever been this excited or proud of myself was. To some people it might not be that big of a deal but for me it was. I've come a long way since I started running two years ago although I've still got a long way to go to be were I want to be, I keep pushing. 
Dreams do come true and mine will. 

12...TWELVE...12 MILES baby!!!!! 10K + 6 more heck yea!!!!! And the best part was I didn't feel like I was dying at the end. 
You can see my car is the only car left in the parking lot in the back of the picture with Kelly. 
My finish time was just 2 minutes under what my goal time is for my half so I need to pick up my pace just a little and cut off about a minute from each mile. Even if I don't meet my goal time exact I know it wont be much over it, after today's run. Doing it and finishing is a big deal just in its self. 
After uploading my run online I saw that my pace dropped a little during my last mile from 11-12 but stayed consistent through out. I've just got to push it out strong just a bit more and I will be set. 
Just 2 more weeks!!!!! 

1 comment:

Janna Renee said...

WOW. See? You are gonna be totally fine for the half marathon ;) I actually think I could do a 10k. I can run 3 miles straight through pretty easily, and I think that running with other people and for a reason would really help. However, I wouldn't put a time limit. Haha