Saturday, August 31, 2013

Picking up the Pace

"last Saturday's 5 mile run"
Last Saturday I ran 5 miles with the Trenholm Road Runners group I joined. Sunday (the day after) I woke up bright and early to get in a long run in with Kelly. I was a little sore from the day before but felt good and knew I needed to get in the miles. We did a good 8 mile run and I was really feeling it the last mile. I had to pee like a race horse but refused to stop because I knew I wouldn't want to finish. My legs started to get shaking and my stomach was starting to hurt. There was just a couple blocks left to get back to Kelly's house and I was pushing it with my last bit of steam. I'm pretty sure I could of passed out in her drive way the second I hit her house. I completely forgot about having to use the restroom. It was a much needed run together but after the fact I was a bit butt hurt with myself at how much I slacked on that last mile but in my defense I ran 5 the day before. 
"last Sunday's 8 mile run"
This morning was another long run, although I didn't go into it with that in mind. I almost didn't even make it to meet with the Trenholm Road Runners. I though I left the house on time but after I got in the car and headed off post I had 10 minutes to get to our meeting place. Thankfully I made it just in time, how ever once we set off on our run I wasn't feeling it for the first half mile. I felt rushed getting there and then my hair was falling down and bouncing on my head. Seriously it was so annoying. I didn't want to stop and fix it because I'd fall behind the group. I did my best to put it back up in a bun while running and it seemed to work. My head was back in the game and I was on my way. I kept going back and forth on weather I wanted to add miles on at the end or not. I figured I'd see how I felt when I was done.
 On my way to the meet this morning I had a new supplement drink mix a friend from Texas sent me. Have you ever heard of Advocare? I had before but had never used any of their products till now. The mix I used this morning was called "Spark", it has 45 calories and is sugar free. It helps enhance mental energy and focus, it also provides support for long-lasting energy. I am not one to use "extra" supplements or powder mixes or pills to help with running or working out. I watch my diet and eat in moderation and make healthier choices. However L sent it to me knowing I'm training for a Marathon. She has had several other runners use the same products and they've had great results. I figured the worst that would happen would be I wouldn't notice a difference, I have a horrible run because it didn't set well with my stomach OR it actually would help and makes a difference. 

Once we got just before mile 5 almost to our finishing point I was still on the fence on weather or not I was going to continue and add miles on. It wasn't till the group made the last right turn almost into the parking lot were we where parked was it that I decided to stay straight and go on. I was filling good, weather that be from the "Spark" or not I don't know. I figured I'd get in a extra mile or maybe two. I followed the road and kept going, figured it would loop around to were I was parked eventually. And that it did. I was at 6.69 miles at that point 3 more and I would be at 10 miles. I decided to circle around again and make it a even 10 miles but that wasn't a big enough circle, I had to loop around another time and a half. I was doing good all the way up until about mile 9.2, I hit a wall and wanted to be done. I kept going I was determined to make it a even 10 miles. I kept telling myself that I had less than a mile to go "LESS THAN A MILE TIFFANY", you can do this. I knew not matter how much I was hurting in the moment I would be hating myself for quitting early. Its all a mental game for me, I let things get in my head while training for my half in the spring and I'm not letting that happen this time. 
"today's 10 mile run"
I'm proud to say I completed a unexpected 10 mile run this morning and couldn't be happier. 
I have just over 2 month of training time left before my big race. I have a plan in my head as far as training and its been going well. As long as I continue with it I think I will be ready come November 9th. I also have a plan on how I'm going to run the Marathon and hopefully it will all work out. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a goal finish time but I know the most important thing is to just finish. No matter what after wards I know I'm going to be so excited to say I've officially ran and finished my first marathon. That's a lot more than most people can say. 
After my run this morning I had plans to make my way over to Fleet Feet to look in to getting new kicks. I wasn't excited about it so much because I love love my current shoes. We've shared many many miles together almost 300 miles to be exact. Most running shoes have a life time of 300-500 miles, minimalist shoes are on the lower end of that mile count. And that's what I run in, not having a arch in either of my ankles having a fully supported shoe just doesn't work well for me. I am currently running in the original Brooks Pure Flow but they no longer make them. The new version has me worried with the mixed reviews and I'm not 100% sold on them. I am a firm believe in Fleet Feet and what they offer, their service is amazing and they offer a Military discount so you can't beat that. I went in told them what was going on, my training and what I'm working towards. I tired on the new Pure Flow 2 and also the Pure Cadence 2 went for a quick jog outside the store in both to test them out and ultimately walked out with the Brooks Pure Cadence 2. They were both very similar but the Pure Cadence 2 had a bit more cushion then the Pure Flow 2 and I don't know any one that would ever complain about that. I'll probably take them for a short run on Monday morning to see how I like them. Thankfully with Fleet Feet even after a good month if I don't like them or I'm not 100% happy I can take them back and exchange them for something else. I'm really hoping they work out though because I don't want to have to get used to another new shoe. And if they do and I grow to love them just as much as I did my other ones I may just go ahead and buy a 2nd pair to have on hand for when these go. 

Work and Running consumed most of my life right now which really isn't all that bad since the husband picked up a new cycle last week. His Battalion Graduates on Halloween and he will only have two weeks off before picking up again. I'm not complaining though because I need these next two months to fully focus on my training. I wont feel guilty doing so and leaving him at home because he'll be at work. Thankfully he will be on cycle break for the race which just so happens to be the same day as our anniversary. I'm looking forward to a little Marathon / Anniversary get away in Savannah, Georgia. 
1st Platoon Titans 
 

4 comments:

Kym said...

Brooks running shoes are my ABSOLUTE favorite!! Yay for running longer miles...the more you do it the easier it gets :)

Kate @ Daffodils said...

Im gla he will be off for your race!

Brittany said...

LOVE those shoes!! You are gonna do so great in the race! You are seriously a warrior girl, I don't know how you do it. You inspire me!

Janna Renee said...

Brooks are the best! I absolutely love my Brooks.