Saturday, May 11, 2013

Get In The Pink 10K

Getting up at 5:00 - 5:30am on a Saturday is not how I enjoy starting my weekends. Heck I don't even get up that early for work. But when it's race day I seem to be able to pull myself together a little better. Thankfully. 
This morning I met up with Kell at her house and we headed down for the 5th annual "Get In The Pink" 10K race. The is a race in memory of her dear friend S that passed of cancer a few years back. I love running races but running a race with a cause is so just that much more enjoyable. Running a race for someone that Kell actually knew was so touching, knowing I was doing something to help warmed my heart. 
It was a pretty good course, parts of it were the same that we run on a weekly basics. Some areas were what we ran during our half marathon back in March. Knowing the streets and neighborhoods has its advantages and disadvantages. It was a HOT morning, probably one of the hottest we've had this spring so far. Of course I had to wear my Hot Pink pants but boy was I regretting that a couple miles in. I was definitely hot and feeling it. I think I could have done a bit better had I had shorts on. Oh well live and learn right. Still had a great time and I got 6 miles in before 9am. 
With Kell being from the South she knows tons of people when ever we go to races. Me on the other hand I never see anyone I know. I recognize people from previous races but that's about it. Today was different I saw someone I knew before she did. As we were walking up to the start area I saw one of the Hubbs good friends (they call themselves manpanions) that he works with. I just so happen to know him as well along his beautiful wife & daughter (who sadly weren't there). We've all gone to dinner quite a few times and he's over often doing gun stuff. We chatted for a bit and wish each other best of luck before we went on to get started. I didn't expect to see G at the finish line knowing he was going to be finishing quite a bit earlier than me. As soon as I crossed the FINISH LINE I though I was going to be sick. I've never had that feeling before, I don't know if it was because I was so hot, maybe. I looked up and didn't see K right away or the water table. But there was G I asked him were the water was and told him I needed some. He pointed in the direction of were it was a ran ahead of me to get some. I'm so glad we've been able to meet some great people here in the South. 
I had a great run, do I wish I did better of course I always do but I'm not going to beat myself up about it. There's always next time. I have a goal I'm trying to reach (well a couple) by the end of the year and I was hoping to come a little closer during this race but not quite. Although I didn't go over my last 10k time I finished right at the exact same time as my last one. I suppose that's better than coming in slower, I really would beat myself up if that was the case. 
Next set race isn't till the end of June and its a 5k, so I've really got to work hard over the next month because I want to get my 10k down. 

No comments: