Saturday, March 5, 2011

Deployment Ceremony & Bowling!!!

"While reading a story with me 3rd graders today, the word deployed came up. We talked about what it meant and one of my students said, "like your husband, right"? I said yes, he will be deployed to Afghanistan. The little boy responded and said, "Afghanistan? We will pray that he doesn't die Ms. Martin". .. It took everything I had not to cry. I ♥ my 3rd graders."


This was Sarah's FB status a few days ago and it just gave me chills as I sat there reading it over and over. I remember for both of our deployments the feeling days before Gabe left. Heck weeks and months before, It felt like there was someone ripping something out of my stomach. I know just the heart ache she is going through right now. However it is different seeing's her husband is going to Afghanistan and both our deployments were to Iraq.


It breaks my heart to see her having to go through this. She is not alone because I along with a few other close friends will be here with her. I can slowly start to see the end in sight to our current deployment which only makes S's even that much closer. There are days were she will tell me that she just wants it to hurry up and get here to get it started and get it over with. I can totally understand that comment but at the same time, I know in the pit of her stomach she is not ready.


B is her everything and when they aren't together she is not complete as are Gabe & I. Over the past few weeks the four of us have been getting together & hanging out doing what normal couples do. Which has been fabulous. B's deployment ceremony was today and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Even with it being R&R for us Gabe knew how important it was for me that I was there for Sarah as Crystal was there for me.

You can never be ready for a deployment, there aren't enough books to read. There aren't enough websites to look through or questions to ask. Every one's story and journey is different and I am so happy to have Sarah apart of mine journey and I look forward to being apart of hers
US ARMY SPOUSES HAVE TO STICK TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!



Later that evening the four of us got together along with our friend Nancy aka Mistress for some Cosmic bowling on post. I would say we have gone a few times over the last couple months and its been fun. I can't even remember the last time before Hawaii that I went bowling. This evening no different, we got there put our names on the list got a drink and next thing we new we were ready to bowl.
Now my dad has this famous saying "I never claimed to be the smartest man in the world". Well ya know I never claimed to be the best bowler in the world let alone in our little group. I might suck but i have a ton of fun in the process. B & G are freaking fantastic bowlers and Sarah well she is pretty good herself. Now N & I we are slacking just alittle but hey its all in good fun right.


GO BABY GO!!!!!!!!!

I'm so glad that the friends I have made over this deployment are finally getting to meet Gabe and see who he really is. Sure I talk about him ALL THE TIME, but that doesn't really help them on getting to know him. I knew that everyone would mesh just fine and they have. My family is complete with Gabe and the friends I now call family here in Hawaii as well as in Ft. Lost in the Woods. (I miss my Woodsides so much) I couldn't be more smitten if I asked!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Aww, spouse I loved this post. I really am so very lucky to have you here, you have no idea how much I appreciate you and everything that you do for me so far. I love how our husbands act like such great friends! I wish this family of ours could have more time together but i know down the road we WILL meet up again, I just know it. I know you'll be there for me when I will need you most in a couple weeks, and there is seriously no one else that I would or could lean on like you. <3

Hesses Madhouse said...

Wow! I just found you through a mutual friend's blog, and I have to say, I am astounded and amazed at what you military wives sacrifice for the rest of us. THANK YOU! I'm so glad you're there for your friend and that she will be there for you when your husband deploys. My best wishes to all of you!