Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Just one more !!!!!!!

One night over R&R we went to dinner with Gabes Platoon leader & his wife who happen to be on R&R at the same time. They flew out of their FOB on the same day but they were split up in Kuwait. LT. * ended up getting here a day before Gabe. It took my love 5 days to get home & be time he got to Hawaii he was completely exhausted. I felt so bad for him, alls he wanted to do was get home and he had no control over the process.
Back to my point, at dinner that night the guys were talking about when they fly back downrange. Not really the topic of dinner conversation I wanted to have but hey it's reality. Well come to find out that LT. * was going to be flying out the same day as Gabe. Now that didn't make any sense at all, I mean he got here the day before him he should be leaving a day early. The guys chatted a bit & he told Gabe how to call and request a extra day since it took him so long to get here & he would have been shorted a day of leave.
A couple days later he made the call and they intend told him he had to call someone else. They sent a email to his command downrange explaining what was going on and told him that he would know if it was approved in a few days. Well R&R went on & on and we heard nothing back. We were prepared for him to leave on a certain day. Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. What we though was our last night together we made the most of at home just the two of us & our pups. Spent every last second before falling asleep cuddle in each others arms just talking.
That next morning rolled around & Gabe woke up around 6:30am as he had every morning. Around 6:45am my phone rang & it was some lady who barley spoke English asking to she to Mr. Jared Gabriel. (we didn't have his phone turned on so everyone would call my phone if they needed to get in touch w/ him as well) It through me off a bit because no one but his family calls him by Jared. Not thinking thing of it, I went downstairs & handed him the phone. A few minutes later he brings me his computer showing me a email with had a NEW flight date & time on it.
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! It was approved, he was granted the extra day. Not that it made things any easier I mean he was still going to have to be leaving but none the less we have two more whole full days together. I was beyond excited because the morning we got the call was suppose to be the day he left.
It pays to ask questions and go that extra mile to see if you can get that last little bit of time. I mean what could happen they say no and you leave the day before. You never know unless you try or ask. I was so grateful to have that extra time with my love, we truly made the most of it as we did with each & every day of R&R.

1 comment:

❈ Annie - Blonde Glambition ❈ said...

That's wonderful that you guys were able to spend two more days together :) Unexpected changes like that are always the best!