Monday, March 7, 2011

Kayaking to Mokulua Island

Our adventure for today was kayaking over to one of the Mokulua Islands. We set out from Bellows Air Force Station with our Kayaks in tow & a picnic lunch for once we got over there.
Both islands are seabird sanctuaries protected by the state of Hawaii, but the beach on North Mokulua is open to the public during the day. Which is the one we went to.

Sarah & I had a bit of fun on the beach while we waited on Gabe to go park the truck. We wrote in the sand & had fun taking funky pictures



This was looking back at Bellows once we reached the island. Sarah & I went over in the same kayak together and boy was it a work out. We had a great time but I would be lying if I said it was easy. We definitely got our work out in for the day. On the way back we went with our husbands, which I was a smart idea because I was don't know if I could have made it back with out him. Getting in the kayak from the beach was a bit comical if I do say so. It was not easy at all, the waves were crashing up against the kayak making it hard to hold and keep steady while getting in. At one point once I was in the waves came crashing the side causing it to tip me out and the kayak over on top of me. We made it back to the beach safe and sound though.
There is a small trail leading you around the island to the back, there were several small pools of water along the way. We would stop and take a look here and there to see what was in them. Some of them had a few little fish & crabs swimming around.
This was the back side of Mokulua it was absolutely beautiful. There is a area were you can hike up alittle further and jump in the ocean but when we were there the current was so strong you would just get swept away. You would have to be crazy to get in the water the way it was.

This is one of my favorite pictures of us from our trip over. He truly makes me light up and gives me butterflies. There is no way I would be able to experience any of this if it wasn't for him in my life & so I am so grateful.

Making our way back to Bellows after relaxing on the beach and munching on some delicious food.

(thanks to Sarah for bring her under water camera & capturing these awesome action shots.)

No comments: