Sunday, March 6, 2011

Kulana'ahane Trail



I had SOOO much fun Hiking w/ my spouse today Sarah maybe next time our husbands will join us. (they are speed walkers so they were always in front of us) Loads of laughs, amazing views, 11 miles & almost 5 1/2 hours later we made it back to the truck.

This was a hike that Gabe & I attempted before he deployed but sadly we got lost and failed. We set our around 10:45 in the morning and were making good time. It rained on us off and on through out the hike, not really rained but sprinkled.


It was nice because the rain kept us cool through out the hike. Before reaching the last ridge that you had to go up we had to cross a totally of 25 streams. They weren't just your simple little streams either, some were small and easy & others were deep and rocky. They guys of course had no problem at all with it. The two of them were off in their own little world as if we weren't even there. Every couple miles they would stop and wait for us to make sure we were ok. At one point when we were making our way up they had stopping at one of the streams that was rushing so fast.


They weren't sure if we would be able to cross it, but we were determined. There was no way I was going this far and the second time at that and not finishing it. After the twenty-fifth crossing, we came to a sign that said the trail beyond is no longer maintained. From this point on is where the hardest part of the hike begins. The trail then climbs up a short, steep ridge to the Moanalua Valley saddle. It was no wider than a single person & if you stepped wrong you could easily be sliding down the side of the mountain.




Half way up the ridge on the right hand side was a large water fall rushing down the side of the mountain. It was a bit foggy from the rain but we still took a moment to snap a few pictures & get a drink of water. From here Gabe & I continued our way to the top. It was so slippery & muddy and the trail continued to get steeper & steeper. At one point while following behind Gabe I slipped and fell back down part of the trail. I was covered in mud and so worn out because at this point we had gone about 6 1/2 -7 miles. Gabe being the sweet heart that he is said you just stay here and I'll go to the top and take pictures for you. I said ok and stood there to catch my breath. Once I gathered my thoughts and got back on my feet I was determined to make it up to the top, I could see it just right up the hill. I am not a quitter and would have been completely mad at myself if I didn't finish it and make it to the top. So I trucked on, huffing and puffing slowly making my way to the top. I HAD TO DO IT, and I DID.

Right at the top were these two signs, that didn't keep us back. We had to see what was beyond the signs, and let me tell you it was worth it.






The view was so rewarding, one of the most amazing hikes I have ever done and I was so happy that Gabe and I were able to do it together along with Brian & Sarah. You could see all of the H3 highway & down to the Tetsuo Harano Tunnel going under the Koolau mountains. You could see so much of Kaneohe Bay & the Marine Base, on clear day you can see the stair ways to heaven. (I can't wait to hike those)
We had so much fun on this hike, I don't know that it is one that I would do again just because it is so long and so intense but its another hike we can mark off our list.

No comments: