Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lantern Floating Hawaii

Every Memorial Day thousands of people gather on Oahu's South shore at Ala Moana Beach Park for the Lantern Floating Ceremony led by Her Holiness Keishu Shinso, the spiritual head of Shinnyo-en. The ceremony remembers those who gave their lives in conflict, illness & natural disaster allowing for reflection on the memories of loved ones.

We arrived in plenty of time to get great seating with a wonderful view of the stage but not to close were we would get mobbed by a bunch of people. Chatting away while writing on our lanterns we reminisced over past get together's & memories we had. Taking in the moment & Enjoying one last group gathering "in Hawaii" with the Brooks family.




This was the 13th Annual Lantern Floating Hawaii Ceremony, More than 3,000 candle-lit lanterns bearing individual and community remembrances prayers were let off into the ocean. The ceremony brings over 40,000 Hawaii residents and visitors from around the world and from various cultures and traditions to celebrate in the ceremony. I was lucky enough to be able to attend myself this year with a few close friends. Remembering my loved ones that have passes on before me, Honoring my Papa (Donald J. Thompson Sr.) and a fellow Wolfhound SPC Gregory Rundell. It truly is a special experience that touches every ones heart that attends. Words can't describe the feeling you have when Her Holiness is speaking and watching everyone release their lantern into the ocean. There are tears, tears of joy, happiness, sadness and love for the ones we have lost but still hold near and dear to our hearts and soul.
The theme of Lantern Floating Hawaii is "Many Rivers, One Ocean." We all come from different walks of life and backgrounds, yet we are all able to come together as one honoring the memory of family & friends.





The Lantern Floating Hawaii tradition is a unique event bringing together people from all cultures, nations, and faiths. Its a way to express our gratitude for the past while looking towards a brighter future. And that is just what I did, while remembering my Papa & everything he did for me & my family I chose to live a better life for him. I know he is so proud of were I am in life today & that he is watching over me. I can't help but wish he was here to tell me in person. He really was such an amazing man, that taught me so much about life.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful ceremony, so many young people sacrifice their lives and their families sacrifice so much,none feel it more than their families, thank you for remembering PaPa. I stopped my errands at 3:00 p.m. and said a prayer, that is what our church ask all of us to do. The people in Hawaii are more aware of the meaning of Memorial Day. Gabe and you are in my prayers every day. God Bless America--Love, Nene

❈ Annie - Blonde Glambition ❈ said...

I'm so glad you got to experience the ceremony! It's such a powerful and moving way to honor our loved one's memories.