Thursday, April 9, 2009

20/20

Today was Gabe's last of so many eye appointments since his accident after he returned home from Iraq. I have gone with him to each of the appointments because well one I'm not working & so it just made sense. As well as the fact that he had to get his eyes dilated just about each time and so he could not drive after. I also enjoyed going because the Dr. he was seeing was so nice and very friendly. She went above and beyond her job to make sure his eyes healed correctly and there was no permanent damage. She said "she had never seen a case like this, that was this bad". And so she was watching the healing process for her own practice as well as to once again make sure he healed fully. On the 27th of March we went in for what he was hoping was his last opt. and everything went well. All of the redness from his eyes was almost 100% cleared up and the Dr. was so impressed. She came out to talk to me for a bit while Gabe was with the Nurse, telling me "how good his eyes were and that she was happy with the progress" I asked her if she was "going dilate them again" (hoping not because we had plans to go to the USS Missouri after) and thankfully she said "no, but that she did want him to come back for a full eye exam in 2 weeks". Something that he really did not want to do. He has always had 20/20 vision and didn't want to hear that it had changed.

So today we headed up to the Family Practice here on post once again and waited and waited, they are always so busy every time we would go. Once seen by the nurse the Dr. came out and told us we could come back for the exam (I stayed in the waiting room, while he went and did his thing) and about 10~15 minutes later he came out with the glasses they give you when they dilate your eyes. "AGAIN", I said. aaaahhhh, the exam went more than great he still has 20/20. She just wanted to check one last time to make sure there was no damage behind the eyes and after they were fully dilated he went back and shortly after we were done and on our way. With NOTHING WRONG, his eyes looked great and the only thing she said was "to do a follow up opt. in 2 years".

Thankfully he is ok and 100% healed with no more redness in his eyes and the best part he still has 20/20 vision. He was still as gorges as ever, even after the accident but to be able to see his beautiful blue eyes POP when he smiles back at me is the best feeling ever.

4 comments:

Jess said...

I'm so glad he is okay, what accident was he in? You know, I was never a fan of blue eyes (I'm a sucker for the brown eyes) but his are gorgeous and I am glad they are still perfect!

How are you enjoying not working?
I have an interview this Tuesday. Greg helped me pick out a really cute outifit. We bought this really pretty turqoise shirt that looks good against my dark hair. LOL, my hair is so short now, I need to post pics for you! I cut it so short that I can't even tie it but it is super cute!

I wrote you back on my blog, lol!

LOL, I am so glad we are catching up through this and not myspace...things get so misinterperted (spelling) on that thing.

Nichole said...

OK - I must have been under a rock for the last little while - what did Jared to to his eyes? I am so thankful that he is 100% better!

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

After the guys came back from deployment they had a 14 day cycle of breifs and meeting and medical exams they had to go to and well with in the 14 days was a fun day were they could pick one of 2 activites to go and do. 1~paintball 2~Suba Dive. so Gabe pick suba dive, long story short when he went with the whole big group they were giving instructions on how to use the mask and oxygen tank and what not. well he didnt so much listen and when he got to the bottom of the ocean his mask had suctioned to his face and so the instructor helped him fix it and well it was to late, bc it was so far under water and had pushed so much pressure into his eyes when he came up and took it off both his eyes were completely blood shot. they were full of blood and that is all you could see, there was no white around his pretty blue eyes, and the out side of his eyes were so bursed from the mask the instructor said it was like he had a hickey around his eyes. It took alittle over a month to completely heal, there was nothing the DR. could do but monitor the progress of it healing and make sure there wasnt any damage.

Thats kinda what happen in a nut shell, if that makes sense at all. if you go back a few post there are pic. of him and you can see alittle of the redness in his eyes but i tryed not to post to many bc it was just so bad, i felt horrible for him. but good thing its all cleared up now.

Jess said...

Oh wow, thank God he is fine because that could have caused some serious damage!