Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Pulled Pork Enchiladas
3 1/2 lbs boneless pork shoulder
14 oz can chicken broth
1/2 chopped onion
6 minced garlic cloves
1 tablespoon cumin
3 teaspoons ground chipotle chile pepper
1 teaspoon salt
3 10 oz cans enchilada sauce
1 4 oz can diced green chile peppers
2 cups shredded mexican cheese
12~ 8 inch flour tortillas
1) trim fat from pork & place in a 31/2 quart slow cooker along with the broth, onion, minced garlic, cumin, chipotle chile powder and salt. Cook for 10-11 hours on low heat or 5-6 hours on high heat.
2) preheat oven to 400 f, remove pork from cooker saving the liquid. slicing the pork in small coarse strands.
3) in a large bowl combine shredded pork, 2 tablespoons of reserved cooking liquid and1/2 cup enchilada sauce.
4) in a medium bowl combine 1/4 cup reserved cooking liquid (you can now discard any remaining liquid), the remaining enchilada sauce, and diced green chile peppers. spread about 1/2 cup of enchilada / green chile mixture on the bottom of a 9*13 baking pan.
5) evening place pork mixture along the edge of the tortillas topping with shredded cheese before rolling and place seam down in the baking dish. repeat this process until all enchiladas are made. (make sure to place them close together)
6) cover with remaining enchilada sauce mixture, cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
7) sprinkle with remaining cheese, bake uncovered for about 5 more minutes until cheese is fully melted.
PS: the original recipe calls for cotija cheese in place of the shredded mexican cheese that I wrote. when making this I did half cotija cheese & half mexican cheese. so that is why the difference in the picture.