Thursday, July 19, 2012

"Let's Cook"

Tonight we went to our first cooking class together. I was super excited about it, because this was something completely new for the hubby & I. I've never taken a cooking class but so badly want to. Now after taking this one I want to start taking more.
The class took place down in the Vista at "Lets Cook". Including us two there was a total of 8 people in the class. It made things nice because we got more one on one time and didn't feel as if we were rushed.  Your able to bring in wine or beer of your choice if you'd like so that's kinda nice, although we didn't and just stuck with water.

On the menu for the evening was:

*Pizza
*Fettuccine Pasta
*Stuffed Ravioli
*Broiled Peach w/ Mascarpone Cheese

We got started making our pasta dough first. Which turned out to be much easier than I had though. Using a Kitchen Aide we stretched out the pasta, cutting half of it into fettuccine. We used the other half to make the ravioli shells, which we stuffed with pork & ricotta cheese. The hubbs was such a sport and really in to everything. It made my heart warm to see him enjoy the class as much as me.

On to the pizza's, the chefs had already prepped our dough. We had to roll it out into a pizza pie shape and load it up with our choice of toppings. There was everything from pepperoni, black olives, fresh basil, chopped onion, sliced tomatoes, mushrooms, egg plant, bell pepper, different cheese's & seasonings. Every body raved about how good my pizza look. Hey what can I say, I love a good pizza.
After we had our main dishes prepared and ready to go in the oven we started on dessert. Peaches must be in season all over the South because they are serving them up every were. Neither of us are huge peach fan and weren't overly excited about dessert but we gave it our best shot. We covered the sliced peaches with brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg. They were then cooked in the oven and topped with mascarpone cheese. I was nervous about trying it with the cheese on top because I've never had it before. But I guess you don't know if you like it till you try it right.  





















While waiting on our pizzas to cook we enjoyed a fresh salad that was prepared before we got to class. A mixture of several greens, a homemade dressing topped with some black olives, a dash of salt and pepper. It was pretty tasty, I'm picky when it comes to salad dressings but this one passed my test. lol.
Our pizzas turned out so good, I kept wanting to eat more and more. But reminded myself we still had our pasta / ravioli dish to try. We decided to only cook a little of ours and bring the rest home to freeze for later. Everything turned out so good, the food was fabulous. The other couples in the class were really nice, offered suggestion on other outings around the area. We will definitely be going back again for another class in the near future. I think I might look more into regular cooking classes, after all it is on my 30 before 30  list.


PS: the dessert tuned out ok, the cheese on top was better than I though it would be. I still don't care much for peaches, lol. But at least I stepped out of my box and tried something new.   

~DAY 280~

3 comments:

Brittany said...

That looks like so much fun!! Zach and I really need to go to one sometime. The pizza looks yummmmmmmmmmy....think it's suppertime :)

Anonymous said...

Wow what a neat idea to do!

Colby said...

I have wanted to do this for sooo long!!! It looks like you guys had fun! Would you re-do any recipes at home?