Sunday, November 6, 2011

Preparing for a Freeze

Yup your reading that right its freezing cold here and I'm not digging it one bit. Ok maybe its not freezing for say but its pretty darn cold. This only means one thing.................the best meal on a cold day is SOUP, sitting on the couch curled under a blanket. I can't think of anything better than a good bowl of soup to warm up the soul. Shortly before we got to SC Gabe got on a soup kick and I kinda fell into it as well. I love soup and love making it also. We have been trying different ones through out the past couple weeks and never seem to have any left overs. That's a good thing though right.
While thumbing through Pinterest a few weeks back I came across a posting about freezing soups in silicon muffin cups. The idea behind it is to freeze it and then they came be warmed up for a quick dinner or individual servings for lunch or a afternoon snack. I loved this idea and with our busy schedule coming up it would work out perfect. I couldn't wait to make some soups and try this idea out. But first we needed the silicone muffin cups. We made a point to look at the stores when we went out to try and find some muffin trays but we kept coming up empty handed. I searched every store around the area BB&B, Target, Walmart, a Local Kitchen store, World Market, the PX and AAFES online and none of them and anything. The only store that had anything close was World Market, Amazon had them up they were crazy expensive. World Market carried the individual silicon cups not idea but I figured it should work the same way. I bought one pack of six to try it out and see how it would hold up.


We made Black bean soup a few days ago and it was so yummy. I didn't think I would really like it but OMG to die for. There was just enough left for 3 muffin cups and so I filled them up and stuck them in the freeze. That evening before we went to bed I check on them to see how they'd frozen. Perfection, solid as a brick and the holders just peeled right off. I baggied them up, that's lunch for one of us next week.


It worked just as I had planned and now I needed to stock up on more muffin holders.
While out doing a bit of shopping to today we stopped at World Market and I picked up four more sets and a couple soup packets to make. I was excited to get home and try it out with a more liquid soup. Chicken Noodle Soup, it took a bit to make mixing all the required ingredients and following set by set directions. None the less it turned out simply magnificent and filled about 24 muffin cups.


I transferred them to the freeze and once again before I headed off to bed checked them one last time and tadaa. They had frozen over completely and peeled right away. This is going to make for a yummy afternoon snack during the cold winter months. I'm already looking through different recipes to figure out which soup I'm going to make next.



I told myself that if I was going to spent time on Pinterest then I was going to have to put the ideas in to place that I "repin", I mean that's the whole point of it right. So far out of the whatever amount I have pinned I have recreated 4 almost 5 DYI projects. I promise to post about the others soon!!!!!

No comments: