Monday, December 5, 2011

Catching Up

DAY 52

Two hours wasn't enough


Before I headed home today I made a 30 minute detour to catch up and visit with one of my cousins I hadn't seen in years. 10 years to be exact, we came to the conclusion that the last time we think we were together was at my Papa's funeral or right around when Papa pasted away. Which was her Uncle Donald, my dads dad. So really Sarah is my 2nd cousin, she is my dads 1st cousin. During the Holidays we always got together at her parents house (most the time, some times we switched houses) and had the BIG Thompson dinners. It was the best time of the year because the WHOLE family came in town, extended family as well. Papa had 3 other brothers one whom I'd never met because he passed away (I think maybe before I was even born) and the other 2 lived in the Arlington area. At the Thompson family dinners it included my dad, me, my brother & Nene & Papa as well as Papa's brothers and their kiddos and yes their kiddos. There was normally a total of about 5-6 of us grandkids between all 3 families and extend. We would have a big feast for dinner, there was always a game on the TV and of course the gift exchange. I remember Uncle Nathan would always gift JT and I the quarter envelopes that were full and we though we were the luckiest kids. As we got older our Aunts & Uncles would give us cash and we would end up getting what we wanted. (I don't really remember what I got though lol)
After my papa passed away in 2002 we didn't have many big get together's anymore. I can't help but think that he was the reason for the family gatherings. I mean why else would we have stopped having them right?!?!? After that everyone kind of just did their own thing with their immediate family. It has never been same since papa has been gone he held the family together and was a great man. I know that he would LOVE Gabe and I truly wish he could have met him. Papa has missed out on so much of my life and it just does not seem fair. He was taken from our family WAY TO EARLY and my poor Nene was left all alone with this yappy dog Tasha that he got for her. He got Tasha for her before he passed away because he didn't want her to be lonely & he thought Tasha would keep her company. I don't think she is lonely at all with T around, but by no means is it the same and I know it has not always been easy on her but I'd like to say that a piece of him is in her because boy does she keep Nene on her toes just as Papa did. I don't know if this was the type of dog she had in mind that she wanted at first but I know she would be lost with out her.
Almost 10 years ago, the last time we were all together I was 15 years old and so much has happened in those 10 years. That the two hours I spend with Sarah catching up was not enough to even put a dent in our lives. I would have stayed longer and wish I could have but I still had a 7 & 1/2 hour drive back home to my hubbs. Last time I saw her daughters they were wee lil ones in diapers & now they are in high school, wearing makeup & dating CRAZY!!!!!!! There was never a silent moment or a awkward pause while we were visiting it felt like old times during the Holidays again. I absolutely love Sarah and Tim (her hubbs) and I'm so happy that they live so close because it will be great for us to be able to spend some time together & our families to get to know one another again.

2 comments:

❈ Annie - Blonde Glambition ❈ said...

That's awesome that you got the chance to catch up with family!! It's hard to imagine living within driving distance to family since I've always lived so far away. You're a very lucky chickadee to have that opportunity!

lilmoomoo said...

Aww :) nice to hear about your family!