Thursday, January 5, 2012

500 'n 2012

DAY 84

I've decided to join the 500 miles in 2012 club, a goal for myself to help keep me motivated and committed to my running. I'm really excited about this and looking forward to seeing how it pans out. Running 500 miles in a year seems simple enough right. That's about 42 miles a month, 10 miles a week and 2 miles a day if I run 5 days a week. Manageable right.....I think so, another goal for 2012 gosh its going to be a busy year. Although the more miles I run in one day the closer I am to completing 500 miles and that much better I will be at a marathon. I have to make my dream of running & completing a marathon before I'm 30 a reality. I think this will also be a good way to help me train up for it.

I really got into running last March after my hubbs came home for r&r, you could say he gave me a swift kick in the butt. No really I would come home from work in the evening and do a whole lot of nothing. We lived right next to a half mile track on post so I really had no reason why I couldn't get out there. I started off by just taking the pups for a walk every day after work, since they were inside all day One thing led to another and next thing you know I'm running laps around the track with both pups. After a good couple weeks I was board with counting laps and keeping up with how many times I had gone around so I decided to venture out and map out a route on post. We lived in a area that didn't get to much traffic and was not off the main roads so that was nice. Most of the areas I ran were covered by giant trees so when it was killer hot out I didn't feel like I was going to die.
Shortly after I ran in my first official race My First 5K and I had the best time. I was a little skeptical about it at first because I had never participated in a running event but I figured "hey how bad could it be." From there I was hooked and on a roll, the Spouse & I signed up for the 10K Pineapple Race in Wahiawa at the end of the month. I did great in both runs and couldn't have asked for a better friend to run them with. The only part that would have made it better is if my hubbs would have been there. He was however cheering my on from the online sideline via the sandbox.
Running has really changed my life and I have to thank my Spouse also for encouraging me along the way. It has also opened up many other doors for me as well as given me that boost I needed to further my working out options. I look forward to getting up on the weekend or after work and hitting the pavement. I feel so much better about myself afterwards, it's almost like I've just conquered the world again and again. On top of running through out the week I also have been attending Zumba & Spin classes here on post 4 days a week. I can't tell you how much better I feel about myself, it truly has been a life changing experience.

READ SET GO!

5 comments:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said...

I had my first 5k on thanksgiving and I have been so hooked! I love the idea of 500miles in 2012!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said...

I had my first 5k on thanksgiving and I have been so hooked! I love the idea of 500miles in 2012!

❈ Annie - Blonde Glambition ❈ said...

This is a really cool idea!! I might have to add something more specific like this to my list of deployment goals :) Running really helped me get through the last deployment so I'm hoping it has a similar effect this time. Lord knows I'm gonna need all the help I can get to make it through this next one.

lilmoomoo said...

Hmm. Maybe I will get into running when Snookums leaves?
I have never really been a "runner", although I did kind of get into it when I lived in Charleston!
It's totally true that it makes you feel better, just in general!

I think I am just TOO lazy! haha 500 miles sounds crazy to me!

But- I'm sure you can do it! You make it sound like "no big deal!" :)

Colby said...

Is that your watch? Do you like it? I have been contemplating getting one to track miles but i am not sure what i want yet...