Thursday, May 24, 2012

Lunchin w/ a bit of Art

Today at work we had our Teacher Appreciation / Thank You lunch from the EDSPO ~ Parent Organization. The PO is very similar to PTA in a public school, they are the ones that help organize different events and what not that go on through out the year. 
Lunch was catered by Pasta Fresca, the local Italian Restaurant I've mentioned before. (same one I got the gift card for :) There was 3 different pastas, salad, lasagna, garlic bread, cookies and SWEET Tea. I surely didn't leave hungry and best part is, I still had my whole lunch hour to get things done I needed to take care of. Along with our lunch we were given yet another gift card to Target :) as well as a Tumbler with our initial on it. It was a thank your gift from them to us, I've said it before and I'll say it again "I work for such a great school".


This evening I had plans to attend a Company Social (with non other than Alpha Co., we are Delta Co but they don't do a darn thing, A Co has always included us in their outing.) We were meeting up at Mad Platter (a local art studio) to do a little painting. I've been wanting to go ever since I found out about the place back when we first got here, I've just ever had the chance to. A quick example of what you do ~~~~ you pick out a piece of art weather it be a dish, character, wall hanging, doggie bowls, magnets, etc. There are literally tons of items to choose from to paint and then you have your choices of paint colors to use. They even have confetti paint which was way cool, books and books of stencils and stamps as well. Then you go to ton designing your own personal piece how ever your little heart desires. I chose a serving dish as my piece because I wanted something I could use all the time. I started off with stenciling our last name in the center and quickly decided I didn't like it. Thankfully the marker burns off when its sealed. Its not perfect by any means and I know I could have done way way better but for my first time I have to say not to bad. Now that its done you leave it there and they do something called a firing seal. This seals off the paint and brightens the colors (so they will be much more colorful then pictured below) allowing the paint to last for years and years to come. I already have plans to go again and paint a little something for a care package I'm working on. I would have done it tonight but we ran out of time. I had so much fun with the girls tonight it was a small group of us, 3 other spouses, a Drill SGT & the Company Commander. Because the unit is coed (which I'm still getting use to) S who coordinates all of these things included the female soldiers in the company to join.












I'll be sure to post pictures of my finished piece once I get it back.
 (I'm leaving to go out of town in Sunday for a week, so it will be after I get back!)
~DAY 224~

No comments: